Monday, February 22, 2016
I'm not usually a person who can listen to music while doing homework because I tend to get caught up in the music and can't focus on what I'm doing. But I recently found the artist James Blake. His music is soothing and isn't distracting, for me at least. He is considered to be an R&B artist but I don't really know what genre I would classify him under. He's all I've been listening to while I sit alone in my study lounge studying for all my exams coming up this week. On his newest album Overgrown, the song Retrograde I've played at least 10 times in the past 24 hours. If you don't pay too much attention to how sad the lyrics are, the song is truly beautiful and for some reason puts me in a great mood.
Sunday, February 21, 2016
Since moving in to an apartment with a kitchen and embracing the dreaded life of a 'gluten sensitive' individual, I've developed a love for pinterest recipes. I was definitely not born with that magic touch some people have where they can create delicious meals based on intuition. That being said, I also can't seem to follow recipes to a T. The above recipe is most likely delicious and I found it on The Local Vegan. However, I got to the grocery store only to find out that truffle oil is something like $15...a.k.a., $15 more dollars than I can afford. So instead, I followed the recipe with the following tweaks:
-No truffle oil = olive oil, salt and pepper on my mushrooms
-No food processor = mashing the beans with a spoon after the 8 minutes were up
-My need for an excessive amount of taste = a sprinkle of shredded parmesan on top
Truffle oil- $15.
Shredded Parm from Kroger - $3.99
Deliciousness after a 45 minute gym session- priceless
Thursday, February 18, 2016
So, big little clue week is coming up for my sorority this week and being the only member of my family in greek life, i learned last year that there is an entire week dedicated to this. So the past few days I’ve experienced what goes into this week and here are a few tips of how to survive it
- have friends who know how to craft
- have friends who have supplies for crafting
- if you don’t have any crafting skills like myself, make yourself useful by painting the bases of canvases while your friends do the difficult work so you don’t seem like you’re just using them, even though you totally are
- don’t go overboard, no one has room on their wall in a dorm room for more then 4 canvases so if you have 8 (like my friends).. stop.
- realize before you paint the wine glasses, cups, and shot glasses that if you paint the rims of them then you can’t drink out of them.. so again, stop.
- all black everything is always the way to go, except maybe this week because what if you’re little…… likes color. I know it’d be horrible but it could happen
- steal shirts from frats to give them in case you don’t have enough sorority apparel so it makes it seem like they’re getting more stuff
- my last and final suggestion is if you're having a brain fart and can't think of something to put on a canvas, you can never go wrong with a friends related canvas because lets be real, who doesn't love friends?(a totally stolen idea from the internet but who cares, thats what the internet is here for).
And to think this is only the preparation for the week.. I can imagine what its gonna be like when i have to come up with creative little quotes and decorate her room- all things i don’t have the skills for. Well, i guess, sorry in advance to my future little.
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
As many others out there, I am very very extremely single. So, this year's Valentine's Day (I'm 2 days late) had no chance of any romance.
Enter....Galentine's Day. There's absolutely no point in wallowing in your loneliness for one day a year. Valentine yourself! That's right. I just made 'valentine' a verb. Anyway, this is pretty much what the best Galentine's day consisted of:
1. Sleep until 12PM and feel no shame.
2. Dinner [a.k.a. order and don't look at prices]
We went to a restaurant in Charlottesville called Parallel 38. A glass of italian Viognier, a spread of savory dips and a handful of perfectly spiced vegetables later..and we had some very content bellies ready for....
3. HOW TO BE SINGLEFeelings of female empowerment? Yep. Yet still kind of making you feel necessarily
nostalgic about having a significant other? Yep. The cast is just wonderful and there
are some very yummy men. All in all, I laughed a lot, ate delicious food...a great night.
Tuesday, February 16, 2016
I just asked my roommate if she ever thinks what her life would be like if she looked like Gigi Hadid. I was genuinely curious if that was a thought other people had because I have it pretty much all the time. Her response was a weird look and a roll of the eyes. I don't think she fully understands my obsession with my girl Gigi. However, since Gigi wears workout clothes so often and looks absolutely amazing(probably because she would look amazing in a garbage but still), I decided that I'm gonna attempt to do the same. So my new fashion obsession is sports bras and workout leggings. I don't think I can remember the last time I wore a real bra. It's been fantastic not having to wear jeans or a real bra for weeks and I owe it all to my girl, Thanks Gigi.
Monday, February 15, 2016
A few facts you should know:
1. We're sisters (19 and 24)
2. Jennifer lives in Atlanta, Melanie lives in Charlottesville. Originally from New York.
3. We are both in school (undergrad/grad).
4. Two nights ago we wore the same top. Smart minds think alike.
5. Those selfies were not meant to be seen by the world. oh well.
6. We love fashion and makeup and life and we want to share that love with the universe.
7. We also love eating and anything related to cheese...
8. I am supposed to be at the gym right now.
There's more to tell but for now... cheers-